we use a 102.5mg of standardised extract to provide the smallest, nutrient dense tablet with no unnecessary bulking agents to create the UK's most premium 5-htp brand.
- 100% natural 5-htp from griffonia seed
- 5* review rating
- easy to swallow
- lightweight, convenient eco-friendly foil packaging. Travel bag, wash bag, work bag friendly
What is 5-htp?
- 5-htp crosses the blood-brain barrier and goes through a decarboxylase to become serotonin (5-ht).
- absorption of 5-htp is not influenced by other amino acids & therefore it can be taken with or without meals, without losing its efficacy.
- 5-htp has a much higher efficacy than tryptophan which is available in small amounts in foods such as red meats & seeds because tryptophan cannot cross the blood brain barrier without the help of transporter molecules.
- the therapeutic administration of 5-HTP may be efficient in depression, fibromyalgia, suppressing appetite and insomnia [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].
1. Keszthelyi D, Troost FJ, Masclee AM. Understanding the role of tryptophan and serotonin metabolism in gastrointestinal function. Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2009; 21: 1239–1249.
2. Birdsall TC. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: A clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern. Med. Rev. 1998; 3: 271–280.
3. von Sano, T., L-5-Hydroxytryptophan-(L-5-HTP) Therapie*. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 1972. 26(1): p. 7-17.
4. Jangid, P., et al., Comparative study of efficacy of l-5-hydroxytryptophan and fluoxetine in patients presenting with first depressive episode. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 2013. 6(1): p. 29-34.
5. Cangiano et al Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan. Amerrican Journal of Clincial
take 1-2 tablets per day.
our 100 mg tablets represent 102.5mg of standardised Griffonia seed extract. they are high quality and nutrient dense. it is therefore not recommended to exceed the stated dose. exceeding the dose may lead to nausea, dizziness and headaches.
*do not take with anti-depressants. 5-htp increases a brain chemical called serotonin. taking 5-htp along with these medications for depression might increase serotonin too much and cause serious side effects including nausea and heart problems. these include the following brand combinations; 5-htp and Prozac, 5-htp and Zoloft, 5-htp and Paxil, 5-htp and Lexapor. 5-htp and any SSRI should not be taken together
there no known interactions with 5-htp and alcohol or 5-htp with any other nutraceuticals or herbal medicines such as 5-htp b6, 5-htp + melatonin, 5-htp + l-tryptophan, 5-htp + tyrosine, 5-htp and St John’s Wort.
Griffonia seed extract 102.5mg standardised to 98% to provide 100mg 5-htp
Bulking agents: dicalcium phosphate, cellulose
Anti-caking agents: silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate