ideal for people who live a stressful lifestyle, work long hours, party long hours, and struggle sleeping.
- lower than normal mood.
- high stress
- Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- anybody looking to increase their serotonin levels.
- It may also benefit people with a condition linked to low levels of serotonin.
What is 5-htp?
5-htp is a natural isolated nutrient extracted from the griffonia seed and it is the building block to your feel good chemical messenger serotonin (5-ht).
serotonin plays a vital role in our biochemistry because it regulates mood, anxiety, appetite & sleep.
we use a 102.5mg of standardised extract to provide the smallest, nutrient dense tablet with no unnecessary bulking agents to create the UK's most premium 5-htp brand.
- 100% natural 5-htp from griffonia seed
- 2x the strength of Holland & Barrett and MyProtein
- 5* review rating
- easy to swallow
- lightweight, convenient eco-friendly foil packaging. Travel bag, wash bag, work bag friendly
What is 5-htp?
- 5-htp crosses the blood-brain barrier and goes through a decarboxylase to become serotonin (5-ht).
- absorption of 5-htp is not influenced by other amino acids & therefore it can be taken with or without meals, without losing its efficacy.
- 5-htp has a much higher efficacy than tryptophan which is available in small amounts in foods such as red meats & seeds because tryptophan cannot cross the blood brain barrier without the help of transporter molecules.
- the therapeutic administration of 5-HTP may be efficient in depression, fibromyalgia, suppressing appetite and insomnia [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].
1. Keszthelyi D, Troost FJ, Masclee AM. Understanding the role of tryptophan and serotonin metabolism in gastrointestinal function. Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2009; 21: 1239–1249.
2. Birdsall TC. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: A clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern. Med. Rev. 1998; 3: 271–280.
3. von Sano, T., L-5-Hydroxytryptophan-(L-5-HTP) Therapie*. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 1972. 26(1): p. 7-17.
4. Jangid, P., et al., Comparative study of efficacy of l-5-hydroxytryptophan and fluoxetine in patients presenting with first depressive episode. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 2013. 6(1): p. 29-34.
5. Cangiano et al Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan. Amerrican Journal of Clincial
take 1-2 tablets per day.
our 100 mg tablets represent 102.5mg of standardised Griffonia seed extract. they are high quality and nutrient dense. it is therefore not recommended to exceed the stated dose. exceeding the dose may lead to nausea, dizziness and headaches.
*do not take with anti-depressants. 5-htp increases a brain chemical called serotonin. taking 5-htp along with these medications for depression might increase serotonin too much and cause serious side effects including nausea and heart problems. these include the following brand combinations; 5-htp and Prozac, 5-htp and Zoloft, 5-htp and Paxil, 5-htp and Lexapor. 5-htp and any SSRI should not be taken together
there no known interactions with 5-htp and alcohol or 5-htp with any other nutraceuticals or herbal medicines such as 5-htp b6, 5-htp + melatonin, 5-htp + l-tryptophan, 5-htp + tyrosine, 5-htp and St John’s Wort.
Griffonia seed extract 102.5mg standardised to 98% to provide 100mg 5-htp
Bulking agents: dicalcium phosphate, cellulose
Anti-caking agents: silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate
5-htp is the precursor to your happy chemical messenger; serotonin (5-ht).
“5-htp is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia.” 
“5-htp has definitely got antidepressant effect in patients of depression. Antidepressant effect was seen within 2 weeks of treatment and was apparent in all degrees of depression. The therapeutic efficacy of l-5-HTP was considered as equal to that of fluoxetine.” 
“available evidence does suggest these substances are better than placebo at alleviating depression” .
 Birdsall 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor Alternative Medicine Review 1998 Aug 3 271-80
 Jangid et al Comparative study of efficacy of l-5-hydroxytryptophan and fluoxetine in patients presenting with first depressive episode. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 2013 Feb;6(1):29-34
 Shaw et al Tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan for depression. Cochrane Database System review 2002.
"Absence of increased premenstrual right-sided relative 5-HTP-derived activity of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortices was found to strongly correlate to premenstrual irritability. A causal relationship here seems plausible, and the findings give further support to an underlying frontal brain disturbance in hormonally influenced serotonergic activity in women with PMS" 
 Olle Eriksson et al - Women with Premenstrual Dysphoria Lack the Seemingly Normal Premenstrual Right-Sided Relative Dominance of 5-HTP-Derived Serotonergic Activity in the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortices - A Possible Cause of Disabling Mood Symptoms - Journal of PLoS One September 2016 12;11(9)
Jonny 25 – Recruitment Exc
"I enjoy going out, festivals and Ibiza. Trust me; take 5-htp on Sunday & Monday and you’ll be back to normal before you know it. It's subtle but you feel uplifted and more content."
Amara 26 – charity worker
"5-htp is my anti-depressant of choice. I’m conscious what I put in my body and 5-htp is the only natural solution that helps me achieve the right balance. I feel less anxious and more relaxed and I sleep better."
G.Maalouf – IT Manager
"I’m responsible for 10,000 users & we’re a 24hr operation. 5-htp makes me feel more content & collected so that I can make better judgment calls. Ultimately, it gives more clarity of thought when anxious or stressed."